Monday, July 7, 2014

Comics and Language: Reimagining Critical Discourse on the Form by Hannah Miodrag

I'm going half way with this one. It's basically a very long scholarly article/textbook that would be more adept to an  English course focusing on the language development of comic from the 1930's to today. I'm not saying this book is bad, but I'm also not going to call it great [Hey, it reads like a textbook! Dry and borderline boring.], the problem I found with this book is the way it was promoted, it was referred to as an enjoyable read for fans of comic books and is even listed under Comic & Graphic Novels, which would be ok if not for the fact that again it reads like a textbook. 

In part I also liked the book because of the way it analyzes the comic book culture and language. So, I really have mixed feelings about this one. I would recommend this book for those interested in language analysis, but I would not recommend for people who are solely looking for a comic books.

Rating 2.5 out of 5
Read@Book

No comments:

Post a Comment